I love it so much, I wanted to share the recipe here for all of you!
Here's what you need for ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
5 Northern Spy apples (I used McIntosh both times I made this pie, tastes just as good! Use whatever our preference is!)
3/4 cup fine sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine the flour and salt in mixing bowl.
2. Cut room temperature shortening into flour until mixture is uniform and shortening resembles large peas. (I had some little helpers for some of this...)
3. Beat egg, water, and vinegar together to blend.
4. Pour all of the liquid evenly over flour mixture. Stir in with fork until all of the mixture is moistened.
5. Divide dough in half and shape each into a ball. Flatten each into a 4-inch circle. Wrap and chill dough for 15 minutes for easier rolling.
6. Peel, core, and slice apples.
7. Mix apple slices with sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
8. Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour. Roll dough to a uniform thickness. Roll to a circle about 1-inch larger than upside down 8-inch pie plate. Carefully place one dough circle into pie plate and gently press into form of place. Trim excess dough if necessary around the edge with the back of a knife.
9. Place apple mixture in pie shell.
10. Place second pie crust on top and form to the edges of the pie plate. Cut slits in the top crust to allow for steam to release in oven. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, until pie is fully baked and apples are tender.