Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fire! (Well...almost!)

When I first met hubs, I thought it weird and at times, annoying that he couldn't sleep at night without a fan on. I had never had that issue growing up so it was new to me. But eventually, I got used to it and now, I can't seem to sleep without a fan on at night, even during the winter months. Just the white noise, I guess.

Fast forward to when our twins were born. Naturally, they slept in our room for the first 4 or 5 months of their life, and got used to having a fan on in our room. By the time we moved them to their own room, it was getting to be warmer outside (May-ish), and living in a fourth floor apartment during the summer makes for very hot and sweaty days and nights, so the fan came into play in their room a lot for that reason too. Needless to say, they have gotten used to having a fan alllll the time, sometimes for the cool air and other times for the background noise.

We put the twins down for their nap the other day, and a few minutes later, we heard them squealing with delight and playing. We went in a couple of times to replace pacis and lay them back down, and once we were back in the other room and doing our own thing, we heard a pop noise. Sometimes they like to bang their pacis on the sides of their crib and it makes the same noise, so we figured that was it or they threw something. Right after that, they started fussing instead of happily laughing and playing. I was just about to get up and go settle them when hubs said, "What is burning??" I didn't smell it until I got out to the hallway to their room. I walked into their room and it was FULL of smoke, and the fan was off. I FREAKED and yelled to hubs and he rushed into the room behind me. I grabbed Merasia and hubs grabbed Connor and handed him to me, and I got out of the room ASAP. The kids were freaking because they had no idea what was going on so I calmed them down while hubs took the fan outside and then he opened the windows and got another fan we have and got it going in their room to circulate the air and get the smoke out. In the meantime, we closed their door to keep them out of the room and after an hour or so the room was cleared out and it was all good.

But it was SCARY!!! I thank God that nothing worse than that happened and that we went in at the time that we did.

So, after all of that, I ended up making a late night run to K Mart to get a new fan when the kiddos were down for the night and the hubs stayed home with them. The fan we had was really old and we have had it for a while, so it's not surprising that the motor blew, but I am glad it happened during the day and not in the middle of the night and that it wasn't any worse than it was! :-)


Ashley said...

How scary! Glad everything turned out well. I've always been that way too...can't sleep without a fan. We installed ceiling fans in our room and the kids room...they are a godsend!

Tiffany said...

I would have freaked out! I'm always worried about the house catching on fire. I'm so glad nothing bad happened and the kids were okay!